Not Sleeping Well?
EMF's IN THE DENTAL OFFICE and EMF's AT HOME
In Our Office:
We strive to maintain a quiet electromagnetic field (EMF) in our facility. We know individuals suffering from heavy metal toxicity may experience heightened sensitivity to EMF’s.
- Stetzerizer Filters and a Four Leaf Energy IC unit minimize the building's overall electromagnetic field.
- Every fluorescent overhead light fixture has been converted to cleaner energy; ballasts are completely severed, and mercury-free LED’s have replaced all fluorescent tubes.
If you do experience EMF sensitivity, especially if you still have silver fillings or metal crown or bridge work, take a minute and speak with Barb, our board-certified Holistic Healthcare Practitioner, certified in Bau-Biology. She can help you reduce the electromagnetic field in your sleeping environment. Eliminating EMF stress around your bed can improve sleep during dental revision, promoting healing for your overloaded central nervous system!
Is the concept of EMF pollution new to you? Read the overview below!
DO you have trouble falling asleep?
Getting back to sleep if you wake up?
Since we renew and heal during sleep – physiologically between 10pm-2am and psychologically between 2am-6am – normalizing sleep is of priority. Quieting the EM field around your bed can make a difference.
Asleep, your immune system and adaptation capacity naturally go into low-level mode. However, your body, prone in a bed, is ungrounded. The ungrounded body is a conductor, an antenna. Non-ionizing extremely low frequency EMF’s, by nature, travel on an antenna system. They couple to ANY conductor – including to the human body – and travel along that conductor, inducing an electric current in the conductor by exciting the conductor’s electrons.
Healthy individuals may be able to compensate naturally for certain levels of EMF radiation when prone in an EMF contaminated bedroom.
Patients with chronic issues may not.
Dental burdens potentially contribute to imbalances in the central nervous, endocrine, and immune systems of patients and CAN compound the intensity of a patient’s experience of the effects of EMF radiation. Examples of potential dental burdens:
- mercury amalgam restorations
- porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns
- metallic crowns
- metallic onlays
- metals in bridges or partials or orthodontic brackets/wires/retainers
- galvanic action among dissimilar metals in the acidic environment of the saliva
- toxic root canalled teeth
- residual areas of jaw necrosis
- CranioMandibular Disorder/malocclusion
Some factors will be outside your control, and others will present easy solutions. Be aware that appliance EM fields are magnified in the presence of faulty wiring, non-connected wiring, conductive materials like metal bed coils or frame, and an excess of cables and devices behind and on night stands.
Bedrooms in smaller homes have become multi-functional and may contain more appliances - - TV, computer or laptop, answering machine, cell phone and/or cordless phone chargers, video game systems, treadmill, iron - - than more traditional bedrooms. Bedrooms in a larger showpiece house may contain abnormally high EM fields due to lighting and sound systems built into the headboards or walls.
The following are appliances often found within 6-8 feet of a sleeper that exhibit invasive electrical fields EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF if they are plugged into a socket.
- Cell phone
- Cell phone charger
- Cordless phone
- Cordless phone charger
- Answering machine
- Wireless speakers
- Cable box
- Remote controls
- Electric blanket
- Waterbed heater
- Corded CD player
- I Pod
- I Pod charger
- Baby monitor
- Digital alarm clock
- Small ungrounded table lamp
- Ungrounded bedside floor lamp
- Window unit air conditioner
- Electric razors
- Hair dryers
- Electric toothbrush
- Fluorescent lights
- Compact fluorescent light coil bulbs
- Fish aquarium pump
- Under-floorboards electrical heating
- Overhead zigzag lighting systems
- Built-in lighting or sound system
- Extension cords
- Ionizer or humidifier
- Small refrigerator
Clearing the sleeping environment of EMF-producing wires and appliances will relieve the chronic stress inevitably experienced by the non-grounded prone
We highly recommend you purchase a simple Gauss meter on-line so you can measure the sleeping area yourself, 6-8 feet in all directions from your body position when prone. A Gauss meter has a limited range for measuring electrical fields, but it is sufficient for the purposes of clearing the sleeping area of EMF’s, and it’s simple enough for you to use effectively.
- Press and hold the button on the side of the meter to activate measurement of background EMF’s from 0.1 milligauss (mG) to 1 mG.
- Move around the room with the Gauss meter, with the button depressed. Approach electrical appliances, outlets, cords, remotes. Note the distance at which the needle of the meter moves into the red zone. Note the distance at which the field drops off.
- Consistent readings, with the side button depressed, in the red zone, near 1mG, away from all appliances and devices, indicate a generalized, pervasive background field, perhaps one generated from improperly laid wiring in the walls of the house or maybe from a nearby generator or cell tower outside the house.
- Measure the EM field outside the house with the Gauss meter. If the readings are lower outside than inside the house, have an electrician evaluate the house’s wiring.
- Now re-measure the sleeping area without holding down the side button of the Gauss Master. Press and release. Approach appliances and devices again. Without the side button depressed, the meter measures the field in increments ranging from 0mG to 10mG. Near appliances or outlets, slowly rotate the meter horizontally, laterally, vertically to align the meter’s interior coil with the source. Again note the distance at which EM fields drop off.
- The meter shuts off after several minutes. Press and release side button to reactivate.
The goal is to clear the sleeping area until the Gauss meter needle rests consistently in the green portion of the scale with the side button not depressed, under 2mG.
< .2 mGauss (milligauss) = ideal
< 1 mGauss = acceptable
2-10 mGauss = strong biological risk
> 10 mGauss = extreme biological risk
Houses without wiring errors tend to test at .2 - .5 mGauss.
A digital voltmeter with an electrode touched to any place on or around the body on the bed is another way to measure the electrical burden placed on the sleeping individual.
The voltmeter around the bed area should read at zero, but up to 20 millivolts represents minimal biologic risk. The body recognizes an electrical stimulus at about 15 millivolts and begins to record nerve stress between 15-20 millivolts.
10-100mV of AC = weak biological risk
100-1000mV of AC = strong biological risk
1000mV + of AC = extreme biological risk
An average modern bedroom in the US tests at 1000-5000 mV.
NOTE: Measure EMF’s at different times of the day. Don’t assume the daytime reading will be identical to the actual sleep environment at night. Measure.
Move all electrical appliances and remotes 6-8 feet away from the bed on all sides.
If partner is non-cooperative, the distance of the width of the bed IS better than nothing.
Of the field-generating items and appliances listed above, several warrant more attention.
- Most laptops test around 1000 V/m at the keyboard. Both laptops and monitors emit fields through the sides and back. Remove them from sleeping area.
- Unplug electric blankets and water beds upon retiring.
- Fluorescent bulbs create exceptionally strong alternating magnetic fields. Flickering hundreds of times/second, caused by gas in tubes going on and off, contributes to stress. Incandescent light bulbs produce tiny EM fields but have been phased out. New LED’s – in developmental stages - may prove a desirable alternative.
- Lamps can remain in position provided they are unplugged prior to sleep.
- With permanent headboards that contain built-in light and sound systems, it may be necessary to cut the power at the fuse box at night. If you feel resistant to this suggestion, we ask – as an experiment - that you sleep in a different room for three nights to note any difference in the quality of sleep.
- Particularly noxious is the extension cord that passes from one side of the bed to the other directly beneath the sleepers’ heads. Even when NO appliances are turned on, the cord emits a steady field of current into the head, neck, and shoulder areas of the prone individuals. Unplug.
- Your greatest resistance may be to relinquishing the proximity of the digital alarm clock.
An alternative to the digital alarm clock might be a light-up, battery-driven alarm clock, which CAN be kept on the nightstand.
After the immediate bed area is cleared, we encourage you to explore what might be present on the opposite side of the wall against which the head of the bed rests.
- A computer or refrigerator plugged into the opposite wall will output an extensive current. Consider relocating the device in the adjacent room or repositioning the head of the bed in the bedroom.
- Check the area toward the ceiling and toward the floor. Turn overhead lights in the bedroom and in the room below on and off. (It is possible that a toxic EMF environment is neutralized when everything is turned off for the night.)
- Check the sleeping area with overhead fans on and off in the bedroom and on the floor directly below.
- Improperly wired walls, floors, and ceilings yield a high EM field. Often negative and positive currents do not properly neutralize each other in walls with 2-way or 3-way switches (the ones that allow a person to turn on a light upon entering a room through one door and turn off the same light upon exiting through another (common in kitchens and living rooms). Dimmers may also present improperly laid wires.
- Plugged-in microwave ovens generate a huge EM field, even when not in use. Is the bedroom next to or above a kitchen with a microwave? Unplug every evening. (Better still: unplug the microwave after each use for a cleaner daytime environment.) (Better still: dispose of your microwave entirely! No one should ingest anything processed in a microwave. Do not even drink water heated in a microwave. Do your research.)
- Be certain that the sleeping environment does not contain a fuse box for the house or for the upstairs in the wall near the bed. If so, move the bed. If it is not possible to move the bed, it may be necessary to shut power down prior to sleeping.
- Mattresses with metal springs on metal frames may have become magnetized. A magnetized zone establishes itself in the presence of a constant field such as that produced by an extension cord running under the head of the bed. Secure a simple compass to check the bed for dangerous magnetized zones. Run the compass slowly across the mattress. The compass needle should swing loosely. 2 degree movement is ideal. If the compass needle moves more than 10 degrees, becoming rigid in a zone over which you sleep, the springs in that zone have become polarized. If the bed has become magnetized, consider replacing the metal framework with a wooden framework and investing in a new mattress, maybe one without metal springs. If you feel hesitant to comply, sleep for 3 nights in a bed that does not have a magnetized zone beneath the body in order to assess the severity of impact.
- Is your bedroom above the garage? Cars produce a large magnetic field, even when turned off. Park cars outside if your bedroom is above a garage.
- Do you live in an apartment? If so, can you find out what is on your neighbor’s side of your sleeping area wall? A neighbor’s refrigerator, heating unit, microwave, computer system can generate an electromagnetic field that reaches your bed. You may need to move your bed.
- Finally, even though it may be beyond your control, evaluate potential EMF contamination from outside the house, near the sleeping area. Transformer? Electrical wire connection from municipal poles to the house? Cable connection? Cell phone tower? High voltage power lines? Traffic signal?
We realize you can not possibly implement all suggestions at once. Implementation of even a few suggestions will make a difference in your sleeping environment and overall ability to heal during your treatment. It's a process.
Try compliance for a minimum of 3 nights.
The fact is that EM fields ARE pervasive on the planet today. Our bodies ARE antennas. Studies repeatedly confirm that electrical fields DO create alternating voltage in and around the cells of our bodies. The result is neurological and physiological interferences and a masking of the natural Schumann vibration that promotes homeostasis.
Symptoms of alternating current(AC), extremely low frequency (ELF) EMF toxicity are – not coincidentally – similar to symptoms of adrenal fatigue, endocrine imbalance, hypothyroidism, and heavy metal toxicity. Specialists postulate that long term ELF EMF exposure may be implicated in many chronic immune-compromised conditions.
As dental providers, we consider mercury toxicity and the galvanic action between dissimilar metals in the mouth a complication in the context of long-term exposure to manufactured AC ELF EMF.
Symptoms of chronic, low frequency, alternating current EMF exposure as reported in research papers and text books include those listed below. Note that the presence of one or more symptoms is not a diagnosis and you should consult your health practitioner with any concerns.
- Reduction in enzymes required by the CNS
- Suppression of melatonin production in pineal gland
- Disturbed sleep (ranging from insomnia to passed-out, unconscious sleep)
- Night sweats
- Impact on calcium metabolism of cells
- Muscle contractions
- Muscle and nerve pain
- Joint pain
- Teeth and jaw pains
- Heart palpations
- Blood pressure changes
- Daytime irritability
- Hormonal imbalances
- Memory impairment
- Aggravated allergies
- Dryness in upper respiratory tract
- Swollen mucus membranes in nose, throat, ear, sinuses
- Flu feeling
- Immunological deficiencies
- Changes in cell division & DNA synthesis
- Free radical damage
- Genetic mutation
- Degenerative diseases
- Changes in cell growth
- Multiple sclerosis
- Autism spectrum exacerbation
- Anxiety disorders
- Slowed reaction time
- Lack of impulse control
- Learning problems
- Brain fog
- Lack of focus
- Seizures in epileptic children
- Premature aging
- Tingling skin
- Warmth or burning in skin
- Reddish skin blemish or rash
- Eye irritation and light sensitivity
clearing your sleeping area of manufactured alternating electromagnetic current will remove chronic exposure to harmful AC ELF EM radiation, promote quality, healing sleep, and support treatment in your quest for health.